Monday 18 March 2013

Greek Soccer Player Banned For Nazi Salute

1. During a Greek Super League soccer match AEK Athens' Giorgos Katidis scored a game-winning goal.

[imagetag]

2. Look how excited he is!

[imagetag]

3. Aw he's pointing at the fans. That's great!

[imagetag]

4. And... What... Is he... Is that the Nazi salute? Did he just do the Nazi salute?

[imagetag]

5. Yep. Yep he did the Nazi salute.

[imagetag]

Image by INTIME / AP

6. Originally Katidis claimed that he wasn't saluting but actually pointing at a friend in the stands. He then apologized and said he didn't know what the gesture meant.

[imagetag]

Image by Icon / Reuters


One member of his club attempted to pull down the player's arm to no avail.



[imagetag]

Image by Icon / Reuters


Katidis was banned for life by Greece from representing his country in International contests. He made the following statement about the act.

"I want to clarify that I am not a fascist or neo-Nazi or racist. I have a step-brother from Puerto Rico, and all my family are from the Black Sea and have experienced racism in the worst ways." He added: "I sincerely apologize to my teammates and everyone involved with the club that I have insulted in not knowing exactly what I had done in my celebration. Nonetheless, the fact that I did not know what I was doing is no excuse."

10. Giorgos Katidis: Dummy.

[imagetag]

H/T Robert Mackey at the New York Times.

Image by INTIME / AP

Visit the source: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/greek-soccer-player-banned-for-nazi-salute
Article author: jpmoore

No comments:

Post a Comment